15 May Kids Art Tutorials | How to Paint a Shiny Scarab Beetle
Hi, I’m Ali Hargreaves and I’m the tutor for Ready, Steady, Paint! I’ve come up with some exciting children’s art activities which I’d like to share with you. The following art activity is free and shows you how to create a fantastic shiny scarab beetle. Over the next few weeks I’m going to be sharing lots more free fun activities for you to complete with me, so make sure you keep checking our website and social media for more!
1) First of all draw a line down your paper in pencil and add four overlapping ovals like my example.
2) Add the legs. Look carefully at mine and notice where they strut from the body.
3) Use a fine tip pen (or biro) to draw the details of the beetle including the little hairs on the legs!
4) Rub out the pencil and stick tin foil onto the body using a glue stick.
5) Next go over the tin foil with the glue stick. This is important so that the paint or ink will stick to the foil.
6) Use ink or paint(choose any colours you like) and paint over the glue covered tin foil.
7) Scratch into the foil gently with a pencil to make stripes.
Hope you’ve had fun. Remember to let us know how you get on and send us photos of your Scarab Beetle…we’d love to see them!
To download the ‘How to Paint a Shiny Scarab Beetle’ Art worksheet (with step-by-step pictures), please click the below picture. We have lots of other activities available for your to download for free! You can also view all activities here.