07 May Kids Art Tutorials | Create a String Snail!
Hi, I’m Ali Hargreaves and I’m the tutor for Ready, Steady, Paint! I’ve come up with some exciting children’s art activities which I’d like to share with you. The following art activity is free and shows you how to create a snail out of string! Over the next few weeks I’m going to be sharing lots more free fun activities for you to complete with me, so make sure you keep checking our website and social media for more!
1) Draw a snail onto some card (you can use an old cereal packet or something like that) Draw a larger circle and then add a long triangle for the tail and a rectangle for the body.
2) Now make the body more rounded, add the spiral inside the shell, the antennae and the eyes.
3) Use glue to stick the string on. I used PVA glue with a brush. Put the glue onto the card first and add the string. You will have to estimate how long the string needs to be!
4) Start by placing the string round the body and filling in with stripes length ways.
5) Then add the spiral and antennae etc.
6) Let it dry completely.
7) Then paint it with wet paint or ink and before it dries, place a piece of thin paper (eg printer paper) over it and use your fingers to make sue the paint transfers onto the paper by rubbing over it.
8) Try using different coloured papers. The great thing about prints is you can make lots of them! You could also try painting the string printed snail with white paint and print onto a dark colour.
Hope you’ve had fun. Remember to let us know how you get on and send us photos of your doodles…we’d love to see them!
To download the ‘Creating a String Snail’ Art worksheet (with step-by-step pictures), please click the below picture. We have lots of other activities available for your to download for free! You can also view all activities here.